Vegan Pancakes (Involves beer)
Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday, and although in the UK we don’t have the bold and bright carnivals that other nations throw to celebrate (also known as Mardi Gras) we do have a little tradition of our own; pancakes!
So, we decided to combine two of our favourite things this Shrove Tuesday, beer and pancakes! I know what you’re thinking – it’ll never work. But trust us, the beers adds a hint of bread-like flavour to the pancakes, whilst giving them a brilliant rise. These pancakes are better cooked in the style of Scotch pancakes – small and round, but thick and fluffy.
We decided to go vegan with our version, but you could use one egg instead of one banana if you prefer.
Makes 8-10 vegan beer pancakes
140g plain flour
100g caster sugar
Large pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1 overripe banana, mashed (or 1 egg)
30ml vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract)
235ml light/wheat alcohol-free beer (we used FitBeer)
Banana and maple syrup
1. Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl
2. In another bowl, mash your banana (if you’re using an egg instead of a banana, beat lightly before adding other wet ingredients) then add your vanilla bean paste, and finally add the alcohol-free beer.
3. Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients, and add the wet ingredients slowly. Beat using a whisk until just combined. You might see some lumps due to the banana but don’t worry! Try not to over beat it.
4. Put a pancake pan or small frying pan over a medium heat. We used a good quality non-stick pan so didn’t use any oil, but you can add a small amount of vegetable oil to cook if you’re worried about sticking.
5. Using a ladle, pour a small amount of batter into the pan until you have a pancake around 8-10cm in size
6. Cook until bubbles have stopped forming, or until the underside has browned off.
7. Flip and cook the other side until browned.
8. Keep cooked pancakes warm in an oven turned low, without the fan.
9. Serve with sliced banana and a generous helping of maple syrup.
Feel free to mix it up adding different toppings or different styles of beer (perhaps a hoppy/fruity style like Sutra IPA from our friends at Nirvana Brewery) and let us know if you tried it!
Share your pictures with the tag #fitbeerpancakes.